Wheal Ludcott was located just south of the Liskeard to Callington road and was one of a group of lead mines on the eastern side of the river Tiddy, where silver deposits had also been found. In 1863 it amalgamated with the adjacent Wheal Wrey to form Ludcott and Wrey Consols. The two mines had been linked underground and Wrey's impending abandonment in 1961 threatened Wheal Ludcott with flooding. Wheal Ludcott had therefore purchased its neighbour for £3450 and operated both concerns as one company.
The western lode was worked from an adit opening close to the stream and the eastern lode had an adit driven north east from the stream to meet it. The engine shaft south of the stream was called Magors and the main engine shaft Wilcock's. There were two pumping engines and a whim engine. The mine was moderately successful and was the sixth largest dividend payer in the area. It employed 250 staff.
Silver did not secure the mine's future and closure came with no production being recorded after 11866.
The mine produced a total of 4995 tons of lead and silver ore and was worked to a depth of 106 fathoms. Today a footpath runs past the mine's south western corner but no remains are visible.
Grid Reference: SX297 662 Achnowledgement: John Manley 'The Liskeard Mining Area in 1863'